Monday, June 20, 2016

NSPCA Exhibition Opens Today at the Salmagundi


I was honored to learn today that my plein-air painting "Incident on Kelly Street" won the NSPCA Award for Casein Painting.

The original of "Incident at Kelly Street" goes on exhibit today at the Salmagundi Club in NYC with the annual showing of the National Society of Painters in Casein and Acrylic.


Marjorie commented: "I don't understand the car in the air." 

Well, Marjorie, strange events seem to take place when I'm out painting, and that day a thunderhead-sized floating island drifted overhead, sent a bright beam of light down on all the old VWs, and then lifted them up. I don't understand it either, but I just paint what I see.
-----
National Society of Painters in Casein and Acrylic show will be up through July 1. 
The painting is documented on my feature tutorial Fantasy in the Wild

5 comments:

Steve said...

As someone whose first car was a 1967 VW, I can verify that phenomena defying conventional laws of physics were commonplace with these vehicles. Thank goodness Jim was on hand to document one such event; presumably a forerunner of The Rapture.

Andrew- said...

Question, James,... you seem to be preferring Casein over Gouache, these days. Would you mind talking, a bit, about the reasons?

Thank you-

James Gurney said...

Andrew, I like them about equally, and they're really quite similar. But I've been using casein more for larger paintings, or paintings on panel, because it feels more like oil paint (albeit oil on a much faster schedule). I probably reach for gouache more often for smaller works that require a lot of delicacy, or sketches that start out as watercolors.

Daniele Guadagnolo said...

Hi James,
after longing for casein for a while I managed (thanks to a post on your blog) to get in touch with Colleen Maxey form Richeson & co and will most likely buy a few tubes.
I have some trouble choosing a yellow earth, though.
Raw Sienna, Yellow Ochre and Golden Ochre made with py42 and py43 are usulally very similar but they do vary across brands (eg some Siennas look too orange or brown, some just look like a Yellow Ochre, some ochres are too dull ect); i have to buy only one of theese three colours.

Are there substantial differences among them? Which one would you suggest? Do you have painted swatches to compare them?

Thank you in advance for your answer, and thank you for the gorgeous art and precious tips you share with us every day!

James Gurney said...

Hi, Danielle, great. Glad you're giving it a try. Golden Ochre and Yellow Ochre are very similar. Raw Sienna is a bit darker.